Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church
The Archbishop of York will be the preacher at the joint Anglican-Catholic
Ash Wednesday Service, 5.30 pm, Wednesday 26 February,
at St Mary’s Pro Cathedral, Manchester Street, Christchurch.
All most welcome.
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s in the City Anglican parish formed St Luke’s Spirituality Centre to foster and encourage spiritual growth, especially during a time of healing and recovery in Christchurch.
St Luke’s Spirituality Centre is for:
- Searchers after spiritual truth, seekers who are open to a living spirituality
- Those engaged in various parts of the church who are looking for spiritual nurture and development
- Those on the edge of the church who are looking for a spirituality sufficiently open to the Spirit breathing through their own experience
- Those looking for a way, for spiritual practice, rather than doctrinal information or church membership
St Luke’s outreach service to the community through the Community Trust includes:
- Transport for the elderly, infirm and shut-ins to medical and hospital appointments and to weekly shopping trips
- Low cost, confidential counselling
- Provision of Community meals
You are welcome at St Luke’s in the City!
Our Spirituality Centre fosters growth and healing with:
- A calendar of regular events
- An ongoing relationship with The Little Brothers of Francis
- Spiritual Direction
- Christian Meditation
- Labyrinth Meditation
- Eucharist with anointing for Healing
Spiritual direction is available on request and by appointment