Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church
16 October 2020
We are delighted to welcome our Bishop, Peter Carrell as our preacher and celebrant this Sunday at the Parish Eucharist at 9.30am when we celebrate St Luke’s Day - our Patronal Festival.
The readings for the day are Isaiah 35.3-6, 2.Timothy 4.5-17 and Luke 10.1-9.
Here is the programme for our celebration:
9.30 am Eucharist followed by Tea or Coffee and time for a chat before a Light Lunch is served at 12 noon. If it’s a nice day you might like to bring a chair, rug, or cushion
to enjoy some time in the Sisters’ beautiful garden.
Morning Tea and the Light Lunch provided.
Koha to be donated to the Anglican Missions Board towards support of the now unfunded Boys’ Hostel at Mirpurkhas, a mission of the Diocese of Hyderabad, Pakistan
Bishop Peter will also bless our beautiful new icon of St Luke.
Read More : Important News Updates to the Parish 16.10.2020
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s in the City is for:
- Searchers after spiritual truth, seekers who are open to a living spirituality
- Those engaged in various parts of the church who are looking for spiritual nurture and development
- Those on the edge of the church who are looking for a spirituality sufficiently open to the Spirit breathing through their own experience
- Those looking for a way, for spiritual practice, rather than doctrinal information or church membership