Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church
HOLY WEEK 2020
Revd. Helen’s Reflection
Living Day by Day
As you will be all aware, it is a case of living day by day in the present environment as we work with the various authorities, church and country, as they lead us through the COVID-19 pandemic. We need to follow all government and recent instructions from our Bishop.
MESSAGE FROM THE WARDENS 06.04.2020
Some notes which might be of interest as we move through Holy Week towards Easter.
1. Homilies. Please note homilies from our PIC Helen are on the website and can be downloaded if you have not received them direct from her.
2. Let us pray together....
A community which prays together, stays together. As well as whatever daily prayer routine is yours, here is a suggestion for us as a parish community to pray together. Many of us have our own copies of the New Zealand Prayer Book. If you do not, it may be possible to loan you one of the parish copies which have been in self-isolation since last October! Please let Alan or I know if you are interested.
At least for now on Sundays we are asking that we all join in worship which is being live streamed from the Transitional Cathedral at 10am. This is the link you can use from your computer and we suggest you bookmark it so it is readily available. Otherwise you will need to copy and paste it to your web browser each week.
A Prayer for these Times (from ANZPB)
God of the present moment,
God who in Jesus stills the storm and soothes the frantic heart;
bring hope and courage to us as we wait in uncertainty.
Bring hope that you will make us the equal of whatever lies ahead.
Bring us courage to endure what cannot be avoided,
for your will is health and wholeness;
you are God, and we need you. Amen.
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s in the City Anglican parish formed St Luke’s Spirituality Centre to foster and encourage spiritual growth, especially during a time of healing and recovery in Christchurch.
St Luke’s Spirituality Centre is for:
- Searchers after spiritual truth, seekers who are open to a living spirituality
- Those engaged in various parts of the church who are looking for spiritual nurture and development
- Those on the edge of the church who are looking for a spirituality sufficiently open to the Spirit breathing through their own experience
- Those looking for a way, for spiritual practice, rather than doctrinal information or church membership