Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church
This Sunday our Parish Eucharist is at 9.30am in Knox Chapel.
I’ve called my sermon ‘Shall we dance?’!
The readings tell the story of two very different dances. The Old Testament readings are in 2 Samuel 6:1-5, 12b-19 and Psalm 24. King David dances a dance of utter self-abandonment and of delight in the presence and blessing of God. He dances the delight of creation.
The gospel passage is Mark 6:14-29. This recounts a very different dance, one of violence, brutality and death, the death of John the Baptist. The contrast is striking: David’s dance of life, the banquet of heaven, and Salome’s dance, a banquet of death.
We gather on Sunday in Knox Chapel to dance! Foolishly, unapologetically, and beautifully we dance.
REMINDER: ALL SERVICES ARE NOW BEING HELD IN THE KNOX CHAPEL
28 Bealey Avenue, Christchurch
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s in the City is for:
- Searchers after spiritual truth, seekers who are open to a living spirituality
- Those engaged in various parts of the church who are looking for spiritual nurture and development
- Those on the edge of the church who are looking for a spirituality sufficiently open to the Spirit breathing through their own experience
- Those looking for a way, for spiritual practice, rather than doctrinal information or church membership