Welcome to St Luke’s in the City Anglican Church
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
On Sunday 9 August, at 5pm Evensong at Transitional Cathedral, Bishop Peter Carrell will be commissioned as Visitor to the Community of the Sacred Name.
Please set aside 15 Aug and 22 Aug (both Saturday mornings) to come and hear about the choices. Theology House and the Transitional Cathedral have put this together — with informed speakers, a panel discussion and time for questions. Come and be fully informed before you make your choice.
The seminars will be hosted at the Transitional Cathedral. Please set aside 15 Aug and 22 Aug (both Saturday mornings) to come and hear about the choices.
The dates are:
Sat 15 August 9.45am - 12noon: End of Life Choice Bill
Sat 22 August 9.45am - 12noon: NZ Cannabis Referendum
Read More : Peter Beck's Letter to the Parish 08.08.2020
St Luke’s in the City, has been worshipping as a community and serving the people of Christchurch since 1859.
Inspired by our patron, Luke the Evangelist - who proclaimed the inclusive and loving hospitality of Christ – we provide a place for peace, prayer and contemplation and welcome everyone into our community, regardless of colour, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any other distinction.
St Luke's in the City offers regular liturgy and worship, a spirituality centre and an outreach programme to help members of the community in times of need.
St Luke’s is a place of stillness and peace, a place of prayer and contemplation for all. Life at St Luke’s is grounded in the proclamation of the Word, the celebration of the Sacraments, and caring companionship with each other.
St Luke’s in the City is a gathered community of seekers and searchers for:
- A contemplative Anglo-Catholic style of worship
- A Eucharistic focus, sense of the mystical and transcendent
- A sense of belonging to a Christ-centred family of faith
- A particular understanding of outreach to the wider community
- A desire to grow spiritually
The integrity and centrality of this worship life supports and anchors other expressions of mission and ministry in the parish.
St Luke’s is mostly an age/experience group in the second half of life that, no longer involved in establishing a place in society, can reflect on life. It is eucharistically grounded, acknowledges and values the importance of sacred space, welcomes a modern, relaxed and reverent approach to liturgy and ministry, good scholarship, collaborative leadership and inclusiveness.
St Luke’s in the City is for:
- Searchers after spiritual truth, seekers who are open to a living spirituality
- Those engaged in various parts of the church who are looking for spiritual nurture and development
- Those on the edge of the church who are looking for a spirituality sufficiently open to the Spirit breathing through their own experience
- Those looking for a way, for spiritual practice, rather than doctrinal information or church membership