Thursday, June 29th 6pm-9pm The communities of the Cathedral, St John’s Latimer Square and St Luke’s are invited to meet at the Transitional Cathedral for facilitated conversation about same-gender relationships and being church.
On 22, February 2011 St Luke’s in the City lost its ‘home’ when the Christchurch earthquake struck.
St Luke’s people have embraced and adapted to the huge change as a community of faith. To quote a parishioner at an Open Forum on 28 July, 2013 “The loss and grief we suffer is not so much for our beloved old building in itself as the sacred place which it was – that is what we need to regain.”
As a pilgrim people we have been pitching and packing away our ‘tents’ week by week, day by day, and are looking forward to a new venue and a new ‘place’.
Our Vision is to build a Spirituality Centre which would include such elements as:
- Gathering space suitable for spirituality and the arts
- Hospitality features, including a cafe, toilets etc
- Seminars and meeting rooms
- Sacred space
- Bookshop or Library
- Labyrinth and meditation garden
We envisage making an important evangelical contribution to the healing and recovery of the city and the spiritual life of the diocese, with a particular emphasis on the recovering business and cultural communities in the central city.
Extending the existing ministry of the ‘Centre’, we envisage offering a wide range of practical opportunities for contemplative prayer and spiritual exploration within the Christian tradition.
Naturally, our vision for the future also includes our continuing existing outreach activities to retirement and rest homes in the parish, the work of the St Luke Community Trust, and our on-going relationship with local neighbourhood groups and the NZ Prostitutes’ Collective.
Brief Historical Background
The parish of St Luke the Evangelist, Christchurch grew out of the parish of St Michael & All Angels, Christchurch.
A wooden church was opened in December 1859 and consecrated in June 1869.
A Halswell bluestone replacement building, designed by Cyril Mountfort, son of BW Mountfort, was opened on 13 October, 1909.
The church had a category 2 rating from the Historic Places Trust. It suffered massive damage from the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes and was subsequently de-consecrated on 10 April, 2011 and demolished in October 2011.
A wooden bell tower still remains on the site.